Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Western

Last week I spent a lot of my time finishing a Screen History essay which I ineffectively compared 2 Western Films, part of my problem was within the given frame work I was unable to effectively communicate everything that I wanted to say about the genre. I wasn`t able to express anything about the amazing camera angles, dialogues, the violence, the terrain and the brutality that exists in this far away near fantasy land. I think that it somewhat is a response to my love of the sci-fi, violent film noir that so often captures my attention.

At least I gained a new found love a respect for a genre that seems dead. Even Science Fiction has been given away to romantic-coloursofthewind-healtheworld-notions that I hate so much. (really I could talk about this for-ev-er)

Even for the `cultured film buff` or whatever, its worth picking one up just to notice how much other films take from them. The best examples can be found if you compare Quinntin Tarintino`s films to Leone`s Spaghetti Westerns. Not to mention the awesome soundtracks.

My favourites of the 20 of so that I view where 3:10 to Yuma (both versions), My Darling Clementine, Once Upon A Time in the West, A Fistful of Dollars, Unforgiven and Johnny Guitar.

Unforgiven Trailer


A Fistful of Dollars Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment