Friday, January 15, 2010

Pop music got me into alternative culture

I always wondering the power of pop music and now I am sure that one of my biggest influences to who I am today is the pop video. No, not now. But the good old days, when they were actually artistic and people took risks and cared about their "artistic creditability". A lot of pop music video's of the 90's present alternative ideas. Here were my favorites:


Oh yes. Look at those colours, the drappy blackness and all of those crows. There isn't a doubt in my mind that Madonna's 1998 clip frozen was influential to me. Right down to it Synth Midi track. I later also loved the clip for Hollywood.

Kylie Minogue's Confide in me (Embedding Disabled) was forever influential to those partial to pale skin, red lipstick and purple eyeskin. The sarine colours and the purring of her voice imprinted on my brain. Her newest songs however are well, to put it as nicely as posible....awful. You shouldn't dress/go the musical direction of 80's revival if you were famous in the 80's unless your Duran Duran, which in my opinon shouldn't have come back at all....(but what are you going to do)......onto the rock

Sour Girl by the Stone Temple Pilots could be considered "alternative", maybe if your 15 or something, but in my eyes its major lable-post-grunge is def. more mainstream. This was one of the songs that forever makes me nostaligic for 90's comericial rock, to which 00's sadly fails. We had Nirvana, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Malvins, Jane's Addiction, Alice in Chains.....my list never ends. Stone Temple Pilot's Creep also had a big effect on during my high school period.


I loved girl groups growing up, I loved this song growning up. But unlike the Spice Girls, they could sing and they were hot and more importantly they're still hot. Seriously. (see "Rock Steady") I don't know what the whole reunion thing failed.


Share

No comments:

Post a Comment